Manila - President Rodrigo Duterte warned of another potentially dangerous local cyclone approaching Monday as the death toll from the world's worst and strongest typhoon of the year rose to 20.
Typhoon Rollie (international name Goni), which hit the southern provinces of the capital Manila on Sunday with gusts of up to 310 kilometers per hour, is the 18th to hit the Philippines this year and one of the strongest typhoons since Hayan killed more than 6,300 people in 2013.
The country's Natural Disaster Agency said Monday that 20 people were killed in the provinces of Albay and Catanduanes, compared to 16 previously reported. Authorities said the forced evacuation of more than 345,000 people prevented more deaths.
Another storm, the Atsani, is now gathering strength over the Pacific Ocean, with gusts of up to 80 km/h (49 mph), and is expected to reach the coast later this week.
"It's not as powerful as (Rollie), but it's going to hurt in its way, on roads and bridges," Duterte said in a televised cabinet meeting.
The State Meteorological Agency is predicting two or three more typhoons in the Philippines in November and one or two more in December. In the Philippines, an archipelago of more than 7,600 islands, about 20 tropical storms fall each year.
Residents of the provinces south of Manila have begun to remove mud and debris from their homes, while people in the communities still flooded have been tents inside the evacuation centers to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Goni has partially damaged more than 55,000 homes and destroyed another 20,000, the head of the Disaster Management Department, Ricardo Gialad, said at the meeting.
More than 13,000 homes, some as tall as five meters, were damaged in the province of Catanduanes Island when Ghony collapsed on Sunday, province governor Joseph Cua said at a press conference.
"As long as there's no more typhoon, we don't have air or sea transportation," Cua said.
Richard Gordon, president and senator of the Philippine Red Cross, said in a statement that "this typhoon has hit the lives and livelihoods of the people, in addition to the continued physical, emotional and economic losses of COVID-19.
On Monday, Duterte conducted an air damage inquiry. Flying from his hometown of Davao, he landed in Guinobatan City near Mount Mayon, the most active volcano in the Philippines.
Dutherte ordered an investigation into the quarries that residents claimed led to the burial of hundreds of houses in volcanic rocks and mudflows, Assistant President and Senator Christopher Goh told reporters.
Environment Minister Roy Simatu ordered the quarries around Mount Mayon, known for its almost perfect cone.
After Typhoon Rolley, more than 50,000 homes were left without electricity on the main island of Luzon, which represents more than two-thirds of the Philippine economy.
Strong winds and rains caused 1.7 billion pesos ($35 million) in crops, mostly rice and corn, said Agriculture Minister William Dar.
About 5.6 billion pesos (US$5.6 billion) were damaged by bridges, roads and public buildings, according to the Department of Public Works.
Before the Rollie strike, the Philippines were struggling with the consequences of Typhoon Molave, which killed 22 people in the provinces south of Manila, most of them drowned.
Vietnam said Rollie is expected to hit its central coast on Wednesday night, dropping more heavy rainfall in an area where floods and landslides in the past month have killed about 160 people, dozens of whom are missing. (Additional report from Karen Lema and Eloise Lopez in Manila and Khan Wu in Hanoi; Ed Davis, Clarence Fernandez, Peter Graff and Alex Richardson)
A man looks at his house buried under a pile of rubble and sand after a flash flood brought by Typhoon Rolly to Barangay Busay, Daraga City, Albay Province, Philippines, on November 1, 2020.